Beef stew is a great dish to serve during the fall and winter seasons. This might sound strange to a lot of people, but I don’t like summer, I am just not a fan of the heat, especially excessive heat. So I am very excited that the fall season starts today, and I celebrate it by making hearty and comfort foods just like this beef stew with potatoes and carrots.
I usually make beef stew with a lot of vegetables. I also like to add herbs or preserved lemons when making beef with potatoes. But this time I changed it a bit by adding balsamic vinegar which gave the stew a bit of sweetness. It almost tastes like I added barbeque sauce. So if you like the taste of barbeque sauce, you will like this stew.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
1 lb of beef stew
1 small onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped or minced
1 tomato, peeled and chopped
2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into one-inch cubes
2 small carrots, peeled and cut into one-inch chucks
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of cumin
3 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
2 bay leaves
5 cups of water
1 teaspoon of parsley for garnish (optional)
- 1 lb of beef stew
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped or minced
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into one-inch cubes
- 2 small carrots, peeled and cut into one-inch chucks
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 3 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a medium size dutch oven or pot, heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil over low-medium heat. Then add the meat, chopped onions, garlic and cilantro. Season with salt, pepper, ground ginger and cumin.
- Mix the meat, onion, garlic, cilantro and spices and allow the meat to brown for 10 minutes while mixing from time to time.
- Once the meat is browned, add the tomato paste, chopped tomato, balsamic vinegar, and bay leaves. Brown the meat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the water, cover the post and cook for 30 to 45 minutes until the meat is fork tender.
- Once the meat is cooked you should have about 1 to 2 cups of broth left. If you don’t have enough broth left, you can add 1 to 2 cups of water. Just enough to cook the vegetables.
- Et voila, the beef stew with potatoes and carrots is ready.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot.