Ahh, there is nothing better than coming home at the end of a very busy day to find a delicious stew on your kitchen counter-top. That is what the crock pot can do for you. It is a great tool to have in the kitchen especially for busy and working moms.
I have to admit, I don’t use the crock pot that often because I don’t think it gives me the intense concentrated flavors I usually get when slow cooking in the oven using the dutch oven. But when using a dutch oven, you have to stay home and baby sit your oven so you don’t set the house on fire. You don’t have to worry about that with the crock pot. You can just prep the meat and vegetables, set the timer, and get on with your day knowing that when you come home, dinner will be ready.
So in this post, I will share with you a very easy crock pot beef stew that you can prep in the morning, turn it on, and you’re done 🙂
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5-8 hours
1 lb of beef stew
1 onion chopped
2 tomatoes peeled and diced
3 carrots peeled and cut in halfs
2 large Idaho potatoes peeled and cut in 4 pieces
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons of cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons of turmeric
A handful of cilantro leaves tied with a twine
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
To the crock pot add the chopped onion, tomato, and meat. Season the meat with salt, pepper, ground ginger, cumin and turmeric.
Turn on the crock pot and cook the stew on low for 7 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- 1 lb of beef stew
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes peeled and diced
- 3 carrots peeled and cut in halfs
- 2 large Idaho potatoes peeled and cut in 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons of cumin
- 1½ teaspoons of turmeric
- A handful of cilantro leaves tied with a twine
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- To the crock pot add the chopped onion, tomatoes, and meat. Season the meat with salt, pepper, ground ginger, cumin and turmeric.
- Add the olive oil and mix everything together until the meat is nicely coated with the spices.
- Top off the beef with the cilantro and carrots, then add the potatoes and the 1 cup of water.
- Turn on the crock pot and cook the stew on low for 7 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- The beef should be fork tender when it’s done. Remove the cilantro and add the chopped parsley. Mix gently before serving.
- Enjoy the beef stew hot with some bread.