Amir loves grilled cheese sandwich and eggs. When I combine the two and make him this fried egg grilled cheese sandwich, he is in heaven. It is the perfect comfort food breakfast. I don’t make it all the time though, it can be a bit heavy thanks to all the cheese, butter and eggs. It’s a lot of fat to digest if you’ll ask me. But it’s Ok to make it from time to time. Sometimes I make fried egg grilled cheese sandwich on Sunday mornings before going on a long bike ride with my husband and the kids. It helps keep us full for a while.
When I make this sandwich for Amir, I make sure the egg yolk is fully cooked. I like mine undercooked as shown on the picture above. Also, you’ll notice that I didn’t include salt in the ingredients. You’ll get plenty of salt from the cheese and toast. Actually, every time I cook with cheese, I reduce the salt quite a bit or don’t use at all. That is why I prefer to cook at home instead of eating out. I get to control the salt and sugar intake for my family. So follow me and let’s make the sandwich without salt. Don’t worry, it will still be scrumptious.
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 7 minutes
1 teaspoon of oil
pepper to taste
2 slices of American Cheese
2 slices of Toast
1-2 teaspoon of butter
Heat up a small frying pan, add the oil and the egg. Cook the egg to desired constancy then season with pepper and set aside.
If you like the egg yolk fully cooked, then flip the egg for an additional minute or two.
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- pepper to taste
- 2 slices of American Cheese
- 2 slices of Toast
- 1-2 teaspoon of butter
- Heat up a small frying pan, add the oil and the egg. Cook the egg to desired constancy then season with pepper and set aside.
- Spread the butter on each toast slice.
- Heat up a separate pan, put the slice of toast buttered side down. Put on one slice of cheese.
- Gently slice on the fried egg on the cheese and top off the egg with the second slice of cheese.
- Cover the whole thing with the second slice of toast, this time buttered side up.
- Flip the toast when it looks golden. Then cook for another minute or two.
- Serve hot with fresh fruit!