I make chicken with mushrooms once a week and it’s usually on those hectic days when I have to juggle a bunch of chores and kids’ activities. It is an easy and healthy dinner I can whip in minute, and I don’t have to depend to takeout. So I have a couple of different recipes with chicken and mushrooms such as this recipe and this recipe.
I again use my Moroccan method to cook the chicken. I saute it with olive oil, garlic and spices then cook it in a little bit of water. Then I add the vegetables, once the chicken is all done. It is the easiest way to cook any one pot meal.
You can use chicken breast for this recipe. I personally prefer chicken thighs, skin and fat removed. Chicken thighs take a little longer to cook than chicken breasts, but I think they tend to have a little more flavor and can be very moist.
OK, let’s get started!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
1 lb of skinless chicken thighs
8 oz of sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 lemon zest and juice
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup of water
- 1 lb of skinless chicken thighs
- 8 oz of sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- ½ zest and juice of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup of water
- In a large skillet, heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil and saute the mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes until they turn brown.
- Once the mushrooms are browned, remove them the skillet. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the garlic.
- Saute the garlic for about a minute, just until you smell its aroma.Then add the chicken and season with salt, pepper, ground ginger and the lemon zest.
- Saute the chicken for a couple of minutes on each side, until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the lemon juice and water and cover the skillet. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes until the chicken is well done and the broth has reduced and become somewhat creamy.
- Add the sauteed mushrooms to the chicken and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes just to heat up the mushrooms and allow them to absorb the lemon flavor from the broth.
- Enjoy the lemon and garlic chicken with mushrooms hot with steamed rice or bread.