This lemon garlic chicken with asparagus, baby potatoes and basil is incredibly delicious. It makes the perfect one-pot weeknight meal that is ready in about an hour. The baby potatoes and asparagus compliment the lemon garlic chicken very well, but you can use other vegetables as well such as broccoli, carrots, or even white squash.
Let’s talk about the method I am using for this recipe. You will notice that I am adding the ingredients in increments. I like to do that with one pan dishes in order to layer the flavors. It works like a charm. You will also notice that I am adding chicken stock to the chicken little by little, just like you would when making orzo. I have noticed that by doing so, I allow the onion and chicken to sort of caramelize adding a nice crisp, adding even more flavor to the dish.
As with all my dishes, ground ginger is the main spice. I can’t imagine cooking chicken without it. Besides, it goes really well with lemon and garlic. The basil adds an incredible aroma to the dish and gives it a fresh taste.
I hope you’ll try and enjoy this recipe. Please comment should you have any questions.
- 1 lb of skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- ½ lb of Asparagus
- 2 Cups of Baby Potatoes cut in half
- 2-3 Leaves of Fresh Basil Cut in ribbons
- ½ Cup of Chopped Onion (about ½ a small onion)
- 1 Garlic Glove Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon of Ground Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon of Dry Oregano
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1½ cup of low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a large pan, heat up the olive oil and saute the onion until translucent.
- Add the garlic and chicken, then season the chicken with salt, pepper, ground ginger and dry oregano.
- Saute the chicken with the onion, garlic and spices on each side for 5-7 minutes on low medium heat.
- Add the lemon juice to deglaze the pan. Then add ½ cup of chicken stock. Cover the pan and allow the chicken to cook for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is fork tender.
- Add another ½ cup of chicken stock, then add the baby potatoes and half the basil ribbons. cover the pan and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Add the last ½ cup of chicken stock, the asparagus and the other half of basil ribbons. Cook for another 10 minutes without covering the pan this time in other not to over cook the asparagus and to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Enjoy Hot!