I found this old German honey cookies recipe on allrecipes.com a couple of months ago and made them a few times already. They are super easy to make and don’t require any special tools. I was surprised on how soft, chewy and tasty they turned out. So I decided to share them with my lovely readers.
They do have a pretty strong ginger flavor. If you are not a fan, you can cut the recommended amount by half, third or don’t use it at all. I do love how the ginger gives them a bit of spice making them taste almost like gingerbread cookies.
The original recipe makes about 4 dozens. I cut the ingredients in half so I would only make 2 dozens. It is mainly because whenever I make cookies, I end up eating most of them. So unless I plan to make cookies for a party or to give them away, I always make fewer quantity.
I also use butter instead of shortening, which is what the original recipe calls for. I personally prefer butter, especially when I melt it with the honey. But it is really up to you whether to use butter or shortening.
If you would like to make 4 dozens for the holidays, just double the ingredients (which is the original recipe calls for) and you will have plenty of deliciousness going around. 🙂
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 2 dozens
Recipe adopted from allrecipes.com
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
2 cups of flour
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
You can store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days. I don’t think they will taste that fresh after that.
If you want fresh ones, just make another batch. After all, they’re pretty easy to make 🙂
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup of honey
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 cups of flour
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt together sugar, butter and honey. Let cool.
- Mix together egg, vanilla, baking soda and ginger. Gradually add the cooled honey mixture.
- Slowly add 2 cups of flour to the honey mixture. Stir until well blended.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.