I had been using store bought pomegranate molasses for years to make Fesenjan and just recently I noticed a salad dressing recipe on the bottle. So I thought it would be great to make a winter salad using pomegranate molasses and fresh winter fruits, and that’s how this salad was born. 🙂
I thought the original salad dressing recipe was a bit sour, so I added a little bit of brown sugar to sweeten it. I know salad is supposed to be healthy, but a little bit of brown sugar is Ok. Actually, store bought salad dressings are loaded with sugar, fat, and preservatives. When you make your own salad dressing, it is significantly healthier salad dressing than the ready made ones. So don’t feel guilty if you add a little of brown sugar. I like the brown sugar because it compliments the pomegranate molasses, but you can always substitute it for honey.
I use apples, pomegranate and grapes but any other winter fruit will be good on this salad. You can also add some dried fruits such as dates for added sweetness. I love to use walnuts or almonds for a crunch on salads instead of croutons. It’s a great way to reduce carbohydrate intake. 😉
All right, let’s make a winter salad!
Prep time: 10 minutes.
2 cups of lettuce (or any other greens you might prefer)
1/2 an apple thinly sliced
1 cup of grapes cut in halfs
1/2 cup of pomegranates
1/2 cup of walnuts
1 teaspoon of pomegranate molasses
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
Prepare the dressing by mixing together the pomegranate molasses, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, brown sugar and olive oil.
- 2 cups of lettuce (or any other greens you might prefer)
- ½ an apple thinly sliced
- 1 cup of grapes cut in halfs
- ½ cup of pomegranates
- ½ cup of walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- On a serving plate arrange the lettuce (or any greens that you prefer), apple slices, grapes, pomegranate and walnuts.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing together the pomegranate molasses, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper, brown sugar and olive oil.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.